Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Once again it is a Friday and once again it is time for another entry in the Flashback Friday series! Today, I'm going to be reviewing one of my favourite movies of 2015 (and possibly of all-time) Disney's Descendants.

For those of you who haven't heard of this (amazing) movie, Descendant's is a Disney Channel Original Movie that aired in July last year. In the film the son of King "Beast" and Queen Belle is about to ascend the throne and offers the children of villains the chance to attend Auradon prep. Jay, Carlos, Evie and Mal, children of Jafar, Cruella de Vil, Evil Queen and Maleficent head to Auradon with a mission - steal Fairy Godmother's magic wand and beak the villains off the Isle of the Lost where they had been exiled. 


Okay, so from the moment I found out this was a movie I was completely onboard. Then I found out Dove Cameron was starring as Mal and Kristen Chenoweth was starring as Maleficent. I knew then and there that I simply had to see this film.

When the movie finally premiered I was worried that I'd built it up too much in my head that I wouldn't enjoy it. Boy was I glad when I loved it more than any film I'd ever seen. The songs were incredibly catchy with all of the cast showing off their incredible vocal talents. Although predictable the story was fun and easy to follow and the costuming and set design were flawless.

I particularly enjoyed the detail put into designing each of the villain children's costumes. Mal was dressed in deep purple with a dragon skin pattern like her Mother, Jay wore more vibrant colours while Carlos was all in red and white. Evie had a particularly girly look dark blue in colour. The costuming really helped to define each of the characters, in particular Mal and Evie.




Though the story was quite simple and very typical of the Disney Channel, I thoroughly enjoyed the growth experienced by each of the characters throughout the film. Each of the villain kids go through a very distinct change which has a direct impact on the ending of the film. I won't spoil anything, but I will tell you that if you haven't yet seen this film then you really need to!

Now, the songs. What exactly can I say about the songs? From the incredible dance number Rotten to the Core, to Mal's beautiful ballad If Only and the musical theatre piece Evil Like Me, this film has it all. If I had to pick an absolute favourite song it would probably be Set It Off which was the final song for the film. It was a fantastic song that truly captured everything the film set out to be.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading my review of Disney's Descendants. I'm definitely putting this on my list of recommendations for people of all ages. I got one of my friends to watch it and now the two of us are unhealthily obsessed with Dove Cameron and Sofia Carson.

Still, definitely check this film out and don't forget to be rotten to the core.

Stay random!
~ Jenna



Comments


  1. Nice Article. Thank you very much for sharing this awesome post with us. Keep Posting. carlos descendants costume

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2