Flashback Friday: The Mortal Instruments City of Bones - Movie Review

Hello all, sorry for the late upload. I wish I had a better excuse than I'm lazy... but anyone who knows me should know that the fact I've managed to upload so consistently this year is an achievement. Either way, let's make this post Flashback Sunday?

I have recently been binging watching very old videos of my favourite booktuber Sasha on the channel abookutopia. If you're a fan of books and love reading then definitely go and check out her channel. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because most of Sasha's old videos centre on The Mortal Instruments, and in particular the 2013 City of Bones movie that was not at all what fans of the book were hoping for.


I actually remember going to see this film in the cinema. I saw it with a friend in a cinema with two muppets staring at us the entire time. A bit freaky not going to lie but at least it meant I concentrated on the movie rather than looking around the cinema when the film got boring. Which it sort of did.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. The casting of Lily Collins as Clary and Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace was perfect, as was the casting of the other characters. Although most of the film was faithful to the novel, one decision made by the screenwriter/director made me very angry and is one of the reasons why the film still doesn't sit well with me.

One of the most amazing parts of the book series is a massive twist towards the middle of the third novel, something I definitely didn't see coming. The biggest issue with the film was that they ruined this twist by revealing it at the end of the film. Of course you would only notice this if you've actually read the books, which a lot of my friends haven't done so I tested this theory with them.

Either way the film was not very successful and the sequel was cancelled. We have however got a second chance as Freeform has begun airing Shadowhunters, which is based on the series as a whole rather than just the first film. Although I do recommend everyone see  The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones at some point because it is a very enjoyable adaption and the cast are incredible, I suggest you read the books first so you don't spoil anything for yourself.

Stay random!
~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2