Flashback Friday: Selena Gomez "Revival" Track by Track

Hello world, it's me. I know that's a quote from a movie or a song or something but what it's a quote from is and probably always will be a mystery to me. On the topic of songs though, welcome to today's Flashback Friday post. Today I'll be doing a track by track of one of the hottest albums to drop in 2015, Selena Gomez's Revival.

When I found out Selena was dropping a new album I literally freaked out. I love her music and was very excited to see what she would come up with since leaving Hollywood Records and signing with her new label. I knew this music would be more grown up than her previous albums but I wasn't sure by how much. 

Check out my track by track down below and see what I thought of Selena's newest album. Revival consists of 11 tracks, as well as three bonus tracks and another two if you were lucky enough to get the international deluxe edition (like I was!)

1. Revival
When I first heard the opening to this song I was wondering if I'd accidentally put the wrong CD into my car. Turns out I hadn't, and after hearing the song in full I knew it wouldn't be complete without the talking at the beginning. This song was a perfect opener for the album as it really worked to signify Selena's new approach to music and her return to the music scene.

2. Kill Em With Kindness
An enjoyable song with a deeper message. Many of the songs on this album shared a dubstep inspired sound and this was no different. Still, I found myself bopping along and thoroughly enjoying the repetitive lyrics.

3. Hands to Myself
Don't ask me why, but this song is my sister's favourite on the album and one of my top three favourites. The song just has such an interesting rhythm as well as having a unique emphasis on specific lyrics. And who hasn't thought about how much easier it would be if we didn't have to keep our hands to ourselves?

4. Same Old Love
Released as the album's second single this is a song that both my sister and I agree should have been the first single used to introduce Selena's new sound. Designed to reflect relationships Selena has had throughout her life, this song has very impactful lyrics that stick with you long after you've finished clicking your fingers along with the unique melody.

5. Sober
The first official ballad on the album works to show off Selena's unique range of vocals. Lyrically it talks about a relationship that only thrives when one of the participants has had a bit to drink. Together with Selena's powerful delivery, the lyrics create a very strong message.

6. Good For You (feat. ASAP Rocky)
Despite this song being the first single released off the album I have to admit that it isn't my favourite on the album. If anything when I first heard this song it had me worried about the rest of Selena's album. It wasn't until I heard Same Old Love that I was very excited to hear what Revival had to offer. Still, the song has a catchy tune and Selena's sultry vocals compliment the track beautifully.

7. Camouflage
Another of the ballads on this album, Camouflage doesn't do much to stand out from the rest of the tracks on this album. Though still an enjoyable song there isn't a lot to me that stood out in this track to make it one of my favourites.

8. Me & the Rhythm
Released as a promotional single this song lives up to its name and has a great rhythm that you can really dance to. Lyrically the song is similar to others on the album but still manages to hold up on its own simply by the catchy rhythm.

9. Survivors
This song actually reminded of the Destiny's Child song of the same name though they are quite different. Selena shows off a range of different vocals on the album as a whole, and this song is no different. Her powerful vocals make this a song to remember.

10. Body Heat
I have to admit I don't listen to this song very often, usually only when I'm listening to the whole album and not just select songs. I do enjoy this song, but it's certainly not one of my favourites. Again, this song sounds similar to others on the album and doesn't have any real defining features to make it stand out.

11. Rise
Now this is one song that I could sing for hours on end - if only I knew the words! Rise has a great tempo and brilliant lyrics once you've looked them up and can understand what Selena sings during the chorus. But now that I know I'll never stop singing!

If you only bought the standard edition then your CD or digital download would have finished there, but if you are like me and you have to have all of Selena's songs you would have gotten three bonus tracks on the deluxe edition.

12. Me & My Girls
13. Nobody
14. Perfect

And, if you are lucky enough to live outside of America (like me!) you would have also gotten two more other bonus tracks.

15. Outta My Hands (Loco)
16. Cologne

I hope you've enjoyed my track by track of Revival. Let me know in the comments below what your favourite song on the album was.

Stay random!
~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2