Flashback Friday: My Everything vs. Yours Truly

Hey everyone! Welcome to the first Flashback Friday post for Just a Little Bit Random. Obviously you would notice that I’m not posting this on Friday which seems like poor planning on my behalf. The truth is I’ve been very busy the last couple of days with work, Christmas parties, Star Wars release and my Dad’s birthday, but I was still determined to get a post up. So here it is, the first Flashback Friday post… posted on a Sunday.

Today I’m going to be flashing back to the release of Ariana Grande’s sophomore album My Everything. It’s been just over a year since the release of My Everything, and I don’t know about you but I can’t still get enough of the album. If you’re interested in reading my full track by track you can do so here. In this blog entry however I’m going to see how Ariana’s two albums measure up against each other.

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past two years, you’ll remember that Yours Truly was released in August of last year where it quickly sky-rocketed to the top of the charts. Some say that the two albums are incredibly similar, while others say they couldn’t be further apart.

First let’s look at the biggest similarity between the two. Almost all of the songs on both albums are about romance. Falling in love, falling out of love, getting together, breaking up, these albums have it all. Where they differ is while Yours Truly focuses more on love, My Everything isn’t afraid to show its lusty side.

My Everything has more of an evolved sound and truly works to show just how much Ariana was working on changing her sound in the year it took to record the album. Yours Truly took three years to create and underwent many creative changes before it was finally ready to be released to the public. Thank goodness we didn’t have to wait as long for the second album!

Finally, where Yours Truly has a more ‘60s/‘70s/‘80s feel to it, My Everything really worked to embrace modern sounding music with songs such as Break Free and Problem.

So what do you think Arianators? Do you agree with my similarities and differences between Yours Truly and My Everything? Let me know in the comments below.

Stay random!
~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2