Book Review - 'Eleanor & Park' by Rainbow Rowell

*Spoiler Free Review*

Title: Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Year Published: 2013
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Blurb:
Eleanor is the new girl in town, and with her chaotic family life,
her mismatched clothes and unruly red hair, she could stick out more
if she tried.

Park is the boy at the back of the bus. Black T-shirts, headphones, head
in a book - he thinks he's made himself invisible. But not to Eleanor...
never to Eleanor.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing
stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall for each other. They
fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're young, and
you feel as if you have nothing and everything to lose.

For today's blog post I'm going to be reviewing Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. This is a contemporary novel and the first Rainbow Rowell book I've ever read so I was very excited going into it as I've heard such wonderful things about her as an author. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have had such high expectations for this book but I blame everyone else for talking it up.

The plot of the novel is fairly straightforward and lends itself to a lovely contemporary read. The characters that we met throughout the novel, in particular our two main characters, were very well fleshed out and I found myself getting quite attached. Despite having a rotten home life, Eleanor managed to be a very relatable character and I found myself understanding the decisions she made over the course of the novel.

I absolutely loved the fact that the book was set in the 80s because it forced us (at least those of us who grew up after the invention of mobile phones and Facebook) to think about how difficult it must have been to hide a relationship from your parents in those times. I mean, the 80s weren't that long ago, but so much has changed since then that I couldn't imagine having to physically pick up the landline or ride a bike to someone's house just to see them. For me this really enhanced the story and gave it the constrictions it needed in order for it to end the way it did.

When I read the book I guessed three possible ways it could go and found one of them to be correct. One of the things I loved the most about the book was the fact that it wasn't black and white with an obvious ending in sight, instead, there were multiple ways the book could have ended. Despite this I do think there was an element of predictability in the novel but that predictability actually enhanced the story for me.

The one thing that I do wish was different however, is I wish we had gotten a more satisfactory ending for some of the secondary characters, and in particular Eleanor's family. I would love to know what happened to them at the end of the story.

4 out of 5 stars and recommended to those who consider themselves 'hopeless romantics'.

Stay random!
~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2