The Maze Runner - Movie Review

Possibly one of my favourite things is getting to see movies for free, so when my sister asked me if I wanted to join her and a friend in seeing The Maze Runner I was more than happy to come along, even though I was only invited because they needed a ride.

The Maze Runner centres around Thomas, a boy who wakes up in a rusty elevator with no memory of who he is. He comes to learn that he is the latest in a long line of boys who have been delivered to the middle of an intricate maze. The boys then work together in an attempt to find their way out of the ever-changing maze, all while wondering who is WCKD and why did they put the boys in the maze. The film stars Dylan O’Brien, Kaya Scodelario, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ki Hong Lee, and Will Poulter.

I have to say, this is a book to screen adaption that I thoroughly enjoyed. The quality of young adult books turned into movies has decreased over the year, with The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and Divergent being disappointments, but The Maze Runner really picked up the ball. The adaption was true to the books whilst still putting its own spin on the plot.

The entire cast did an incredible job, creating very believable relationships which were very entertaining to watch. Special props have to be given to Dylan O’Brien and Blake Cooper who play Thomas and Chuck respectively. The boys created a very realistic brotherly type relationship which constantly brought tears to my eyes. In fact the entire cast reduced me to tears on more than one occasion which only goes to show how well they worked together to create very realistic, believable characters.

The film progressed at an easy pace that wasn’t too fast, but there was never a dull moment. My sister and her friend were on the edge of their seats throughout almost the entire film - especially during the griever scenes!

The grievers were spectacular. They were exactly how I had pictured them and were the perfect blend of disgusting and terrifying.

Despite being adapted from a book, the film made some very clever changes which actually simplified the plot and made it very easy to follow. I for one support the majority of changes that were made, however some of them did cause me some worry. Not fully showing Thomas and Teresa’s psychic link is the one causing me major worry. The link is incredibly important in the following books, but I guess we’ll see what happens when The Maze Runner Chapter II: The Scorch Trials enters theatres next year.

Let me know what you guys thought of The Maze Runner. Did you think it was a great adaption of the book? What are you most looking forward to in The Scorch Trials next year? Let me know in the comments below.

Stay random!

~ Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 'Pete Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2

Flashback Friday: Descendants - Movie Review

Top 5 'Karen Rooney' Moments - Liv and Maddie Season 2